Tuesday, March 26, 2013

On making a house a home.

(Or, um, an apartment.)

I moved out of my parents home and into my first apartment nearly two years ago. The time sure has flown by! Anna and I lived in the ghetto, complete with one of those apartments that rent by the week across the street from ours, and neighbors that we had to call the cops on multiple times. But I was SO proud of this space of ours - it was my very first apartment!
Part of me really wishes I had gotten a picture of the outside of our apartment (ahem, duplex), but alas - it is way too embarrassing. Sometimes, Blake and I will take a drive by it... so glad those days are behind us!
And then we (as in me & Anna) decided we couldn't take the smell of smoke (and marijuana) anymore and started searching out other options. We moved into the most beautiful loft apartment near the square/downtown Springfield. It was such a beautiful apartment, I was so sad when our lease was up and our paths were taking us different ways!
While living here, Anna and Isaac got married! So I lived with a married couple for a good 8 months! It was an adventure, to say the least, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything! Blake and I are currently considering getting back on the wait list so we can grab an apartment here when we get married. Crossing fingers and toes: there are a lot of hoops to jump through to get an apartment here!

In October, I moved in with my boss; they have a nanny apartment, and I most definitely grabbed it right up when it became available! So.. it's sort of my bachelorette pad. ;) This is the only time I've truly lived on my own, with no roommate... just me. I'm enjoying it, to be honest!
The only thing is that I am having *the* hardest time making this place my own, though. I have found little nooks and crannies that have been "decorated," but not the whole space and it's really bugging me! I'm used to having a spot for everything - and a lot of my stuff is just scattered! I have friends from out of town staying for the weekend in 3 weeks, and now that it's getting so close, I've been kicking it into gear trying to get everything settled and looking more "homey." I've only lived here since forever now, it's about time, right?
The space is like a studio apartment, where it's all one room. My favorite spot is the little nook for my bed! It's seriously the cutest spot. But the rest.. I'm struggling! Do you have any tips for decorating a studio apartment with almost zero storage space? I'll take any advice I can get!

Have a lovely Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment