Friday, November 22, 2013

Bedrooms are fickle things.

Lately, I've been itching to put my bed on the floor. It kinda sounds gross. But at the same time, it sounds like a refreshing decor twist that I so desperately need (decorating bedrooms are the. hardest.). I've been scouring Pinterest (uh, what did we do before we had it?) for adult-friendly spins on the style. I mean, there is a definite fine line between pulling off a look that says "an adult lives here." And then there's the other side of the line that says, "I'm a really poor college student." So... I'm looking and looking. And crossing my fingers that I can pull this off.
Here's a few ideas that I've come up with so far! Thoughts?

1/2/3-unknown/4


The fourth photo fits our situation the most; our room has weird walls that stick out and are really annoying. They aren't all that noticeable, but it's enough to make bed placement feel really restricting. So, our bed will probably stay against the window, just like in the photo above. 
I keep getting the occasional push of creativity and positive energy, and I'm like, "YES. I can totally pull off the look that I see on Pinterest!" And then I try doing a small corner of my living room, in a style that I recently pinned on Pinterest, and it turns out like something you'd see on a Pinterest Fail website. Oh well. Maybe someday my home decor side of my brain will click on and I'll be a total pro. Until then, I'll employ the usefulness known as Colby Kern and he'll do the decorating for me. 


PS. The blog Old Brand New is quickly becoming a favorite. The photography mixed with all of the home tours. My heart is swooning. Is that a thing? Probably not, and I probably just sound like a weirdo. Anyway.

4 comments:

  1. I had my bed on the floor in college/grad school (honest confession time: I moved in a hurry and then was just a little too lazy to put my bed frame together....). It really didn't look that bad because my room was really together in a very non-college-student kind of way, but it was not very comfortable, honestly. Of course, I stuck with it a few years, so it must not have been uncomfortable enough to conquer my laziness...but that's really what I remember most about it. Getting up was extra hard in the morning. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bedroom is the worst... actually my whole house doesn't have any normal 90 degree corners in it, every wall is an awkward angle and it's the worst for decorating! I love that second to last picture--I would loveee to have a fireplace in my room one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would suggest keeping the box spring - both as a way to add a little height (I speak from experience - it's annoying trying to get on and off a mattress on the floor) and as a way to help insulate your mattress against cold floors. It'd probably help with the "grown up" look as well. If you want to do it though, go for it! The worst case scenario is you decide you don't like it. I slept on a mattress on the floor for a couple years and I wouldn't do it again. Of course, the space under my bed also doubles as storage space, which I appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well since you are a poor college student have you consider pallets? here is a lovely idea :)
    http://blog.piajanebijkerk.com/WordPress/2009/07/03/pallet-daybeds-are-all-the-rage/

    ReplyDelete