Monday, February 17, 2014

Dad's Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

A few weeks ago, I stayed with my parents for a few nights (their house is the best on snow days!), and I got to try my dad's new recipe for homemade chicken noodle soup. He claims that he made it up, but I'm pretty sure chicken noodle soup is as generic as it gets... ;)  but I thought I'd share the recipe since I made it for Blake a few nights ago! 

Ingredients: 
- 1/3 of a 16 oz package of extra wide egg noodles
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (optional)
- 1 chicken bullion cube (optional)
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 1 can of cubed chicken
- 1/2 stick of butter
In a pot, melt half a stick of butter. While that's melting, chop your veggies. When the butter is completely melted, add veggies to the pot and saute until they are soft. 
 Once veggies are soft, add 2 cans of chicken broth. Once the broth is boiling, add the noodles and chicken to the mix. Cover and let cook until noodles are done.
And that. is. it.
Seriously.

It took probably 30 minutes total and is so insanely good. The recipe was more than enough for Blake and I, and left plenty of leftovers. My dad usually doubles the recipe when he makes it to feed the 4 of them in the house and leave leftovers. We've found that on the second day, the leftovers are much creamier than when it's first made and it's almost better that way! To warm it back up as leftovers, I usually add more chicken broth (or water), and heat it up on the stove. And! I think next time I will pick up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, instead of the canned chicken. Yum!
It's an amazing, simple, tasty soup. Definitely worth a try when you need a quick dinner!

Happy Monday!
xo Haley


2 comments:

  1. YUM! Perfect for a cold winter's night. Looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made homemade chicken noodle soup today! It's almost the same recipe, except I also put onion in mine and I use frozen egg noodles cause they're extra doughy (lord knows I love anything bread-like!). Tyler never eats soup, but even he likes it. Chicken noodle soup is pretty much the ultimate comfort food for me. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete